I finally made time to work on my boat tonight. This Friday is my last day at my current job, and I start my new one on Monday, so I have been busy. I have also made a bookshelf between now and my last PakYak update.
I went out and bought a brand new bicycle tube this last weekend. I was thinking about getting one that would fit my bicycle, as I have patched both tubes on it at some point. This tube was cheap though.
I didn’t cut it straight, I let the curve of the tube work for me. I let the arc in the tube follow the natural curve that the finished assembly wanted to follow. I used a knife sharpener to punch the holes in the tube. It is the closest thing I have to an awl shape, and it was already in my pocket, so it was really handy.
A short video of putting the snaps onto the rubber endcap. I am using the tooling that came with one of the two snap kits I bought.
If I may suggest not drilling holes on the ends of each of the end side stringers… It makes adding the other half of the snaps less then ideal. I hadn’t drilled out the end stringers for the opposite end of the boat, so I only had to deal with this issue on one side.
I bought screw in snaps as seen on the right. But I was worried that with the hole already there, the snap won’t be that strong due to the risk of tearing out the end of the stringer. I tried to pop-rivet the snap on, but my rivets are too thin for the holes I had drilled (sized for the bolts that are used to assemble the rest of the boat).
Here is a close up shot of the final rubber end cap. It looks like I am going to need to trim the end of the bolt short. I will also probably get some nylock nuts for these bolts as well. They already have a rounded end so I don’t have to worry about the skin as much..