- I liked a @YouTube video http://youtu.be/qrw6XH-lb08?a Forging Blacksmith Tongs #
- Aggravating. I moved a friends website between hosts this morning, and my usual tricks for verification are not working. #
- Late lunch… (@ China Buffet) http://4sq.com/mOK9UM #
- Shade tree blacksmith… so mu fun! http://twitpic.com/54rhbo #
- My first "real" tool, a sickle is a dismal sucess. Twice forge welded, the 2nd only half took. Totally the wrong shape. http://twitpic.com/54rivj #
- So much for camping out in the back yard this weekend. My yard is going to stink for a few days, all the dead worms http://twitpic.com/54tp5k #
- After a day of blacksmithing, I did a real man's job… hair salon. I cut my wife's hair with my leatherman. At least it was on my terms. #
Today I started my hand at blacksmithing. A friend came over and we pretended we knew what we where doing. It was an absolute blast!
We used up two 10 lbs bags of charcoal, and made a railroad spike knife, a bit of a trivet, and some coat hooks. I only got burned maybe 3-4 times and only have one bad blister raised on the back of my hand at the moment.
The forge is made out of an old burnt out gas grill that I lined with some bricks. I used a leaf blower as the forge blower. The anvil is some random scrap of busted up metal casting that we made a post for. The anvil could be a good bit better, but it worked well enough for our first attempt.
We even cooked our steak lunch on the forge fire – I figured it was already lit and hot, so why not!.
I made a natural lump charcoal forge tonight out of an old gas grill. I lined it with recycled bricks. The blower is a leaf blower.
Thus begins my journey into the world of blacksmithing. Yet another hobby for me!
- Bella first thing in the morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGTZji5Vu-Q It's a wee bit dark, but that's ok I guess. #
- It would appear that Dundee is about to have a parade? Interesting. #
- Bella has a fan club! 3 chinese waitresses flock her every time we come in. http://twitpic.com/48tkrl #
- Future plumber? http://twitpic.com/48u9r7 #
- Future blacksmith? http://twitpic.com/48uf72 #
- Any guesses as to what I am making now? http://twitpic.com/48x738 #
- Does this photo help clear up what I am making? http://twitpic.com/48y2be #