I decided to try setting up a bit of hydroponics tonight. Actually, it’s aquaponics, because it’s based off of my fish tank.
I am having a bit of algae problems on the 75 gallon tank. I am hoping that growing some basil out of the tank will help soak up some of the nutrients and slow the algae growth. I don’t have one of those fancy pots that they use in hydroponics, so I decided to make one of my own. I have a bit of plastic grid that is used for that hook & latch projects. I rolled a bit of it up, and sewed it together with fishing line.
I cut out the base, making it into a circle. This took a bit of trial and error, and it’s a bit small.
To hold the pot I made a support span that the pot would sit in. I sewed two boxes together to force the curves in the supports.
Here you can see base in the pot and the assembled span.
This stuff is kinda handy to make things out of like this.
The pot sewed into the span. You can seen I needed to use a tweezers to get the knots tied in the fishing line. This is designed to hold the bottom of the pot in the water on my microtank. Note the notches in the bottom of the span.
Here is an LED lamp I picked up after Christmas for $10 on clearance at Menards. I am hoping that by adjusting the lamp very close to the plants, they will get enough light. I planted Basil seeds in the pot. I have a bit of rock in the bottom, then a lot of perlite, then a bit of rock on top to hold the perlite down..
Well, I worked on a project I have been talking about and gathering parts for a really long time now. I have had the pumps for over a year. I got the pumps on sale at Harbor Freight in Florida. I picked up the irrigation kit on sale at Walmart this fall. I eventually work on my DIY projects. Eventually. This is the homemade irrigation system for the planter stand in the apartment. I am really bad about taking care of my stuff. Unless it meows or otherwise can get my attention it’s gotta be basically 0 maintenance if it’s to survive. I have been working on a planter stand for a few months now. I finally have enough light, I just forget to water it for a few weeks at a time. I took a series of YouTube videos of my putting this together. It changed a few times as I put it all together. The videos are much darker then I thought they would be, so my apologies.
Here I cut the tube, and make up an adapter to get the smaller tube hooked up to the pump. It took a while for the pump to prime.
Gotta love my mumbling. The first pump I tried wasn’t powerful enough, so I had to make a 2nd adapter to the bigger pump.
I finally get to where I set up some irrigation using some soaker hose.
All set up and working. SCORE!
The water pump running in the tub of water. You can see the hose adapter I made to connect the small hose to the larger pump outlet.
The soaker hose put into the windowsill planter box. I used the little nails that the irrigation kit came with to nail the tubes down to the trellises or whatever. I don’t think that this is enough soaker hose to adequately water this box with the size of the drippers on the small pots. I think the next one I put together will have a horseshoe shaped loop so I have twice the amount of watering.
It’s amazing how much extra light a ‘real’ light fixture puts out compared to the cheap grow light tube fixture. You can also see the net I made to keep the cats out of the plants.
A close up of the plants. You can see where I alternated the curve of the hose so in the end, I had a straight run of irrigation hose. I planted Paris Island Cos (romaine lettuce), Grand Rapids (green leaf lettuce) and Arugala (rocket salad) in the planter. I figured I needed to get that all started now if I was to have fresh salads by the time Katie moves up. I really don’t know how the salad greens will grow in this homemade indoor greenhouse thingy I got going on, but I shall find out! Now I just have to either find a timer that will work, set up my X10 firecracker and use that as a timer, or what I really want to do, is build a timer out of a rabbitcore so i can hook it up to the internet..