Twitter Updates for 2011-12-13

.

Twitter Updates for 2011-05-02

  • I made breakfast for Bella, but she doesn't seem hungry. Wondering if she was already given breakfast this morning? http://twitpic.com/4rydoy #
  • I think I shall put a flower bed just there… http://twitpic.com/4rz1sk #
  • I am wondering if this is enough wood for a huglekulture bed. Running out of wood. This should catch runoff @paulwheaton http://twitpic.com/4rzgr4 #
  • Here you can see what I was going after. A rain garden effect to dike off this gully in my yard away from the house. http://twitpic.com/4s0tcs #
  • Found out what the melty bits where that I found in my pocket rocket stove. The inside layer of my heat pipe! #HOT http://twitpic.com/4s0z5i #
  • People keep telling me my back yard is just weeds. I don't consider a yard full of violets "weedy". Grass is a weed! http://twitpic.com/4s10ff #
  • Getting ready to plant my grape vine. Gonna drop that charred wood down way too deep a hole. Tera Petra + Hugelkulture? http://twitpic.com/4s2ktm #
  • Redbox stop. Handy devices, redboxes. (@ Thorntons Store w/ 2 others) http://4sq.com/mEF6Lw #
  • Looking at the ingredients at this prepackaged butter pound cake. It has more antifreeze / plane de-icer than butter in it. Why? #

.

Rocket heater moved into the garage

Tonight I moved my paint can rocket heater into the garage. I wanted to give it a try in a non-windy space. It set up surprisingly quick once I found the right height spacer to set it on, some weights. It did take two tries to light it, but I tried to light it with very little paper without pre-heating it to get it to draft first.

Fire! I like fire!
Fire! I like fire!

I spent some time fiddling with wrapping it with bits of metal I had laying around trying to get it to shed some heat into the room. It did manage to warm up the garage 20 degrees, so not to bad!

Just trying to get some heavier metal to pull heat off the ducting.
Just trying to get some heavier metal to pull heat off the ducting.

I think it worked well enough to justify getting some proper stove pipe instead of the heat ducting and experiment some more. I would like to figure out how to get it to dump more heat into the room. I’ve an idea about wrapping the exhaust in a bit of ducting and maybe forcing air around the duct, maybe with an internal warm-air chimney. I would also like to bring in a fresh air intake from outside, which should significantly help with the heating properties of the device.

I think I need an IR thermometer to really do a good job tweaking this heater. Oh well. Time to raid the kitchen for the meat thermometer I guess.

.

Phase two of the Paint Can Pocket Rocket Experiement

So yesterday, I got to play outside a bit more. I worked on my Pocket Rocket Heater some more. I tore it apart, to see where it got hot, and where it did not and to add 1 more can to complete a burn chamber. I also insulated it with perlite.

The 4 cans, wire and perlite to rebuild the Pocket Rocket Stove
The 4 cans, wire and perlite to rebuild the Pocket Rocket Stove
The cans all come together to form a single burn chamber
The cans all come together to form a single burn chamber

I couldn’t find my baling wire (old timers will tell you it’s duct tape 1.0) so I used a bit of floral wire. Not as sturdy, and I expect it to be too light, so a good burn will melt it enough that it will break, but this is just a test unit, right?

I also poured perlite all around the inside cans to insulate the stove burn chamber area. Of course, I forgot to take a photo of this step. Bummer.

With the lid back on, I now have an insulated Pocket Rocket Stove
With the lid back on, I now have an insulated Pocket Rocket Stove
The wood tray is KEY to the workings of this stove, it allows the air to come in from underneith and thus through the fire
The wood tray is KEY to the workings of this stove, it allows the air to come in from underneith and thus through the fire
The wood sits on top of the wood tray.
The wood sits on top of the wood tray.
Shiney!
Shiney!
The whole unit as it currently exists.
The whole unit as it currently exists.

I am quite happy with how it all works. I like fire, and I like making things from junk.

My future plans for this particular unit is to either run a longish near horizontal 4″ exhaust out a window or maybe do the full on inverted chimney. This involves a 2nd, much larger chimney placed around the current one with a cap on top. A horizontal exhaust is then attached to the bottom of the outer chimney to vent the gasses. This allows the whole thing more time to release more air into the space that it occupies. It’s worth trying to play with, that’s for sure!.