- My printer is printing! So cool! http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175474242991816704/photo/1 #
- Never a good sign to have a new toy tore apart… struggling a little bit. http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175491737530277889/photo/1 #
- This set screw is jammed and stripped. Only way I could figure to make it work was to shim it against the Jetway. http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175500604699967489/photo/1 #
- The gear goes with the plastic extruder. An important part of the machine. http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175502269662494720/photo/1 #
- It's printing! For real! http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175511054716112896/photo/1 #
- The printer has been going for a half an hour with no catastrophic failures! Once I got it figured out, it just works. http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175515802852794368/photo/1 #
- My printer's first print. I am hanging this on my tool cabinet. http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175519450014023680/photo/1 #
- "Hello World" from my @MakerGear Prusa Mendel RepRap 3D printer. Its alive! http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175521167346630656/photo/1 #
- Refridgerator art! http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/175522551664095232/photo/1 #
- Huh. It snowed last night. Fancy that. http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/171967829367717889/photo/1 #
- I saw two deer trying to cross the road in town, so I stopped and let them cross. The car on the other side did not. Poor girl. #
- All the work trimming out the window w/ my $6 Walmart special saw to find out it no longer cuts at exactly 45 degrees. http://twitter.com/creuzerm/status/172170574506901504/photo/1 #
My local mall lost a large, two story corner-store. Sad that they made it so far into the economy dive just to die now. On Main Street of the same town, half the shops are closed, including a knitting store.
I think that making the large empty retail space into a maker/hacker space would be an interesting idea. The food court is nearby, there is already a Radio Shack, Book store & Sears (hand tools) on site.
A maker/hacker space is a space where you can get together with other people with common interests and make stuff. There is tools and materials available on location that you may not have at home. You pay a monthly fee ‘dues’ to support the space.
On the 2ndfloor I would put the main maker/hacker space. The center area, where the escalators & elevator go would be the common area. Couches & tables for sitting and talking smack about each other’s projects. Also rows of work benches for doing various projects.
Equipment and tools with safety considerations (basically all power tools) would be behind a glass wall where members can ‘badge’ their way in once they have been safety certified for all gear in that room. This would allow people at the mall to see what’s going on, but be kept away from the power-saws. (hey, insurance & liability is a big thing) This would also help with noise from things like the wood working power tools from drowning out the people doing musical electronics. The space is big enough to have dozens of ‘shops’ set up like this. Glass fronts so people can safely watch all the making. The glassed in workshops would be a fire-break in case somebody starts something on fire. It would also keep the saw-dust out of the pottery wheels. I’d have a couple of classroom/conference rooms as well.
Some of the ‘shops’ I’d see having:
- Hand tool only wood working
- Basic power tools wood working
- Advanced power tools wood working
- pottery area with kiln
- electronics lab
- programming lab
- basic metal shop
- intermediate metal shop (basic power tools)
- welding booths
- sewing shop
- demonstration kitchens
- I want to go to sleep but I am making some apricot kolaches for a potluck tomorrow at work. They smell good! I don't think I want to share. #
- I picked up a 60" standard def Mitsubishi rear projection TV. It works so it would be a shame for me to cut it up. Anybody need a monster TV #
- My company's 2012 calendar has been picked up by the freebee websites. Now to allow our peeps to get them and not the mooches. Suggestions? #
- I want to troll the freebies-trolls. The bossman won't pay for the postage though. I can's say I blame him… what to do with 2k addresses? #