Adventures of a door.

Over the last few weeks, my front door has gotten a little blue.

I think it turned out pretty good. My wife picked out the color, I just applied the paint. I don't think she realized that I am going to get some white letters for above the door and label the door "Police call box".

Having seen all the kids and junk I've crammed inside, it is indeed bigger on the inside than it would appear.

In album 5/24/16

Ava's room

When we bought the house, there is one room we referred to as the 'stupid room' as it was the smallest room, biggest closet, and 2 doors. We set it up as an office and library. Worked great.

With Ava, we decided that the time had come, the office is going away, it's the nursery. We'd discussed the very thing when we bought the house. 

So, this had the last of the original carpet. So I replaced the carpet. Katie ordered a wall decal set that I made work with the crib. 

Today I hung adjustable shelves so the largest closet in the house can be put to better use. It's a mix of baby stuff and kitchen stuff. 

In album 2014-12-28

The new carpet is much better. I put down extra padding so it should be extra soft for babies and standing changing diapers.

I really like the decals. It makes the room look nice.

And the closet. With this installed, I am DONE with this room. Only a 6 month project?

Some nasty dirty carpet. I painted the walls before replacing the carpet, knowing I didn’t care about the old stuff.

Did a pretty good job of getting the carpet the right size. Not much left over.

I’d bought carpet laying tools when I bought the house and layed the other carpets. I am 1 extension set short. So I improvised.

I made a shoe rack for behind the front door

I bought a bundle of fifteen 1x2s for $12. There are some pretty twisted, gnarly looking boards in the bundle. My dad taught me how to selectively cut with the twists and kinks in mind so the project turns out in the end. I've only 1 wonky spot I am not happy about. I used 3/4 of the bundle of wood with only a dozen of so 6 inch scraps left over.

It's built with tools my wife has gotten me over the last couple of birthdays. I love tools.

In album Shoe rack

The shoe rack is designed to fit behind the door. I’ve notched it to fit around the baseboard. It’s extended across the heat register to dry gloves and is rounded so I don’t bang my lag on the corner.

The inner space worked out to be perfectly square. Not sure how that happened, but I will pretend it’s planned.

The door opens flush against the table.

The lower shelf is angled so big shoes can fit toes towards the back.

Gloves, hats, shoes, & boots all fit on the little table. I think I like it.

Painted a wall in the living room this weekend

I think I like the darker color. We also did part of the front entry and a  wall in the dining room this dark color.

In album 2013-09-03

Almost finished. The space in the frames with the sconces is getting painted the same color as the rest of the room. Crown molding and painting my baseboard.

Finishing up the prep work. Washing, taping, moving furniture.

Toy box lid is up, hiding so much of the hard work.

One coat on.

That TV is heavy. I remember the days when cheap junk was lighter weight, not heavier!

Almost got the first coat.

This is the before photo.

My RepRap is a handy tool in my tool box

I didn’t realize it until last night, but 1 of my windows wouldn’t lock. I can’t have that! It was a 2nd story window, so not a security issue, but the cold air blows through it. I needed to make a shim for the lock.

I happen to have this really cool tool. My 3d printer. It can make parts for me when the weather is too nasty to go to the store (never mind that the stores  don’t carry the parts I want).

Some quickly made plastic shims
Some quickly made plastic shims. They are 2 different sizes because the window wasn’t installed well it appears.

I took a few measurements, wrote a few lines of openscad code, and 30 minutes later, I had some perfectly fitting window lock plate shims.

3d printed window lock plate shims
3d printed window lock plate shims to hold the 2 halves of the lock at the right distance so they can function!

The most tedious part was getting good measurements and working the screws with the window right there. Doesn’t leave much room for tools and hands.

I installed the shim and now the lock engages perfectly and snugs up the window seal so less cold air blows through it.
I installed the shim and now the lock engages perfectly and snugs up the window seal so less cold air blows through it.

The part is so trivial to create that I probably won’t post it to thingiverse… although the new configurator may make it useful for other people.

OpenScad Code Below

length = 71.75;
width = 7;
depth = 3.5;

topHole = 7.75;
bottomHole = 6.5;
holeWidth = 3.5;

difference()
{
	cube(size = [length,width,depth], center = true);
	translate (v = [length/2 - topHole , 0, -depth/2]) cylinder(h = depth, r=holeWidth/2, $fs =1);
	translate (v = [-length/2 + bottomHole , 0, -depth/2]) cylinder(h = depth, r=holeWidth/2, $fs =1);
}

Print Settings for ~ 30 minute print of both parts at the same time.

; generated by Slic3r 0.9.8 on 2013-01-27 at 16:17:39

; layer_height = 0.15
; perimeters = 2
; top_solid_layers = 4
; bottom_solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0.30
; perimeter_speed = 60
; infill_speed = 100
; travel_speed = 130
; scale = 1
; nozzle_diameter = 0.35
; filament_diameter = 1.73
; extrusion_multiplier = 1
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.56mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.56mm
; first layer extrusion width = 0.38mm