Blacksmith forge from gas grill and recycled bricks

I made a natural lump charcoal forge tonight out of an old gas grill. I lined it with recycled bricks. The blower is a leaf blower.

Bricks lining a burnt out gas grill to make a blacksmith forge. The holey bricks on the bottom allow air to come up.
Bricks lining a burnt out gas grill to make a blacksmith forge. The holey bricks on the bottom allow air to come up.
I put in just a little bit of natural lump charcoal to test it tonight.
I put in just a little bit of natural lump charcoal to test it tonight.
Testing the forge with a small piece of metal
Testing the forge with a small piece of metal
Turning the flash off on the camera, and you can see the warm glow of the forge fire
Turning the flash off on the camera, and you can see the warm glow of the forge fire
The forge works, it heats metal up until it glows!
The forge works, it heats metal up until it glows!
Using a leaf blower underneith pushing air up through the bricks to provide extra oxygen to the fire really heats things up!
Using a leaf blower underneith pushing air up through the bricks to provide extra oxygen to the fire really heats things up!
See, with the blower, the fire gets hotter. Look at that metal glow!
See, with the blower, the fire gets hotter. Look at that metal glow!
I am not sure how long the bricks will last - they are glowing brightly as well.
I am not sure how long the bricks will last - they are glowing brightly as well.
I only tried banging on the metal with a hammer for 3 heatings.
I only tried banging on the metal with a hammer for 3 heatings.

Thus begins my journey into the world of blacksmithing. Yet another hobby for me!

.

Rocket heater moved into the garage

Tonight I moved my paint can rocket heater into the garage. I wanted to give it a try in a non-windy space. It set up surprisingly quick once I found the right height spacer to set it on, some weights. It did take two tries to light it, but I tried to light it with very little paper without pre-heating it to get it to draft first.

Fire! I like fire!
Fire! I like fire!

I spent some time fiddling with wrapping it with bits of metal I had laying around trying to get it to shed some heat into the room. It did manage to warm up the garage 20 degrees, so not to bad!

Just trying to get some heavier metal to pull heat off the ducting.
Just trying to get some heavier metal to pull heat off the ducting.

I think it worked well enough to justify getting some proper stove pipe instead of the heat ducting and experiment some more. I would like to figure out how to get it to dump more heat into the room. I’ve an idea about wrapping the exhaust in a bit of ducting and maybe forcing air around the duct, maybe with an internal warm-air chimney. I would also like to bring in a fresh air intake from outside, which should significantly help with the heating properties of the device.

I think I need an IR thermometer to really do a good job tweaking this heater. Oh well. Time to raid the kitchen for the meat thermometer I guess.

.

Hauling a cabinet.

Work was throwing out an old metal cabinet that the door fell off of. So, I helped them throw it out to my place.

Now that it’s home, I am going to fix the broken door with half a dozen rivets, rivet up the non-broken side as well, and I now have a nice, tired, scratched, dented, and banged up metal cabinet..

Stymied by the rain.

My New Ford Escape hauling wood. Sunday I went to Lowes and picked up some 2x4s, 2x6s, 1x12s, and a box of floorjoist hangers and other overpriced metal connectors. I spent a lot more then I needed to if I was just to screw this thing together, but I want it so it can be disassembled fairly easily (trying to back out dozens of screws with rounded off heads doesn’t count in my book).


Wood cut for a bedframe. I cut all the pieces to length.


Rough assembly of queen sized bedframe My rough assembly showes that I measured about right, the cross peices will need to be cut down as they will be too long once I include the thickness of the metal brackets they slip into. I need to cut grooves into the 2×4 stringers to accept the 1x12s. This will allow the 1x12s to sit flush with the top of the 2x4s and lock into place I am hoping. I really hate beds that groan louder then you do when you get up in the morning.


 Here it sits. I got everything out today, and it started to rain. Just my luck!

Posted by Picasa

.