2010 – In Review

2010 has been a good year for me. Busy, but good.

The most important event this year was the birth of my daughter. She is the joy of my life – with my wife coming in a very very close second (sshh, don’t tell her that!). That little girl just loves to smile!

I seem to have come in possession of a house as well. It required a bit of work.

With all of this happening in my life, I didn’t do near as much blogging as I probably ought to have. I did manage do some blogging work, migrating from Blogger to WordPress, although it was forced on me. Most of my ‘blogging’ seems to have occurred on twitter this last year, but I did manage to embed twitter into my blog.

I did manage to get a few projects done. However, not the rough draft of the book on aquaponics I want to write – the website is coming along though.

I did manage to give some presentations this year. I even somehow found time to go camping once!.

Finishing the Insulation

It’s nice having awesome friends, between Jerry helping with the prep work, and Jeb helping feed the blower, I got the job done!

I had gotten sick between the time I started this project, and the time I could finish it, so it took me a bit longer than I had anticipated.

I finally rented a blower from Menards.

The Blower
The Blower

Between it not being bolted down to the pallet they had it on, and it’s missing parts, It was a frustrating experience getting it home and set up.

Duct tape, the universal adapter!
Duct tape, the universal adapter!

I got the privilege of hanging out in my attic for 5 hours!

the blower hose in my attic

The job wasn’t near as bad as I thought it was going to be.  The prep-work was harder than the actual blowing in of insulation. That isn’t to say, that the job was a cake walk.

A wee bit dusty
A wee bit dusty
We got a bit dirty blowing in the insulation!
We got a bit dirty blowing in the insulation!

In the end, it was worth it! The gas bill was something like half as much for the month after we insulated from the month before, and it was much colder. I will have to run the numbers later, but I am expecting that the insulation will have paid for itself in energy savings the first winter!

All done!
All done!

I still have a bit of insulation to add. I came up a bit short, so I must have blow in insulation a bit thick in places. I am going to need to get a few more bags and toss the insulation in by hand. I made sure that the space left to do was close to the access hatch so it’s easy for me to do.

Not quite enough insulation - I tried to cover the small area left with some, but it got a bit thin here.
Not quite enough insulation - I tried to cover the small area left with some, but it got a bit thin here.

I also have to go around and insulate the rimjoists and find any drafts and close those up as well..