After a couple of weeks apart, my printer is back together

I took my printer apart to try to figure out why the bed isn't level. The Y rods where sitting crooked. I popped them out, rolled them on the counter-top to make sure they where still straight and put them back together. It's better, but still not perfect. I think the Y rod mounts are maybe stretched and the Y carriage is slightly less than perfect so they compound each other maybe.

I don't really know. I put it back together anyhow.

I tried to un-solder one of the power mosfets as I think I blew it, and that didn't go so well. I lifted the tracings off of the circuit board. I really don't like de-soldering braid.

In album

The kitchen counter gets cluttered up with kitchen things. Fancy that! Time to move my printer off the counter!

I really buggered up the tracings when I tried to un-solder this mosfet. They fell right off. No Good.

I think I can top solder the mosfet. Tried it at least. I may need a new board soon.

Top dwon shot of a RAMPs 1.4 board that’s assembled.

The Pololu stepper controller boards with the trimmer pots set to the right setting.

The printer still works! A good sign. Now to print my backlog.


Join the Conversation


  1. I have better luck with a solder sucker rather than braid. Braid will work best if you have a variable temperature soldering station and can set it just high enough to melt the solder.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WordPress Appliance - Powered by TurnKey Linux