Saturday, I was helping some friends move. I must say, this was the best ‘hard move’ I have ever helped with. There where stairs and hard corners at both locations. A lot of big, heavy, and fragile stuff. We filled a cattle trailer and several vehicles with stuff.
What made it so easy was that everything was already packed up, and we had a ton of people!
We did have a slight problem with the queen sized box spring though. It was too big. It wouldn’t go up the stairs. So after most people left, three of us declared war on this stubborn item, and pushed really hard. We got it up the stairs!
CVS is looking to start unpacking the cattle trailer we moved most of the stuff in. Actually, it’s a good moving trailer, I was quite surprised.
The Box Spring wouldn’t fit up the steps, so Scott started to take the trim off the walls to see if we could gain enough extra clearance to get it through. Nope.
With some modifications to the bed as well as the ceiling, we where able to get it to fit. We had to take a small chunk out. The trim covers the hole, so it will be invisible when done.
Here you can see the box spring. We unstapled the covering, rolled it back and attacked it with a pry bar and saws-all. We took the one side board right off, and cut all the cross members as close to the edge of the springs as we dared. We could hook the first and last boards around the ceiling, but needed to push hard to get the cut bits through our slot we cut.
We replaced the factory board with a much wider board that we screwed on so it presented the same bottom profile as the original. The extra width let us screw to the shorter cross members.
Tracing the ends so the round corners are the same, and using a wood rasp to make it so the cloth was easier to pull back over, we now have a solid bottom again.
All put back together, as good as new! Better even, because now it’s upstairs instead of stuck downstairs..