Hide Away Rolling Pantry

Ava's room

When we bought the house, there is one room we referred to as the 'stupid room' as it was the smallest room, biggest closet, and 2 doors. We set it up as an office and library. Worked great.

With Ava, we decided that the time had come, the office is going away, it's the nursery. We'd discussed the very thing when we bought the house. 

So, this had the last of the original carpet. So I replaced the carpet. Katie ordered a wall decal set that I made work with the crib. 

Today I hung adjustable shelves so the largest closet in the house can be put to better use. It's a mix of baby stuff and kitchen stuff. 

In album 2014-12-28

The new carpet is much better. I put down extra padding so it should be extra soft for babies and standing changing diapers.

I really like the decals. It makes the room look nice.

And the closet. With this installed, I am DONE with this room. Only a 6 month project?

Some nasty dirty carpet. I painted the walls before replacing the carpet, knowing I didn’t care about the old stuff.

Did a pretty good job of getting the carpet the right size. Not much left over.

I’d bought carpet laying tools when I bought the house and layed the other carpets. I am 1 extension set short. So I improvised.

I made a shoe rack for behind the front door

I bought a bundle of fifteen 1x2s for $12. There are some pretty twisted, gnarly looking boards in the bundle. My dad taught me how to selectively cut with the twists and kinks in mind so the project turns out in the end. I've only 1 wonky spot I am not happy about. I used 3/4 of the bundle of wood with only a dozen of so 6 inch scraps left over.

It's built with tools my wife has gotten me over the last couple of birthdays. I love tools.

In album Shoe rack

The shoe rack is designed to fit behind the door. I’ve notched it to fit around the baseboard. It’s extended across the heat register to dry gloves and is rounded so I don’t bang my lag on the corner.

The inner space worked out to be perfectly square. Not sure how that happened, but I will pretend it’s planned.

The door opens flush against the table.

The lower shelf is angled so big shoes can fit toes towards the back.

Gloves, hats, shoes, & boots all fit on the little table. I think I like it.

New Book Shelf Shelves

A long time ago, I had made some book shelf shelves out of cardboard so I could see more books on a shelf than normal. Today, I was cleaning up the garage and found some scrap wood so I made some more out of wood this time. No lights on this batch, but that can come later.

Old and new Bookshelf risers
Old and new Bookshelf risers

The first two I made was out of a junk MDF board.

junk wood shelf
junk wood shelf

The next one I made was from a much nicer scrap. I made this one a bit shorter as the shelf it went on was one peg shorter than the rest of the shelves.

A nice bookshelf shelf with center support to prevent sagging.
A nice bookshelf shelf with center support to prevent sagging.

I even went so far as counter-sinking the screws so the books don’t snag on screw heads.

When in doubt, glue it and screw it!
When in doubt, glue it and screw it!

Making a FIFO canned food storage auto-rotating shelving rack.

Yesterday I made a shelf for some canned food. I have been eyeballing the soda in the beverage gliders at the local convenience store. After talking to the manager a few times, he said he would see if he could get some for me. Yesterday, we stopped in, and SCORE! He had half a dozen.

So, I started making the canned goods slider.

Plexiglass and straightedge
Brother supervising my cutting of the acrylic sheeting

I started with an old piece of plexi I had left over from my college days. It used to be the top to a home-made desk. I used it because it’s nice and thick.

Rough layout of the DIY food shelf rack
Trying to fit the shelves into the space that works well with the size of the plexi

Here I am trying to figure out what angle they need to be to work correctly.

initial testing the food shelf roller rack
The first try was a failure

I tried it out. Dismal failure. Not only did the tape let go – silly me for using painters tape, but the angles and heights where all wrong.

Assembled Can Roller Rack
layed out can roller rack

Here I have it set up with the right angles and heights. There needs to be a good angle with plenty of distance between the two so you an slip the can in back, and be able to pull it out up front.

riveted the parts together
See the rivet sticking out? The plastic riveted together well.

I riveted the whole thing together. The rivets have a nice, smooth head that doesn’t stick out very far. Bolts, screws, etc. would have given me fits to go through the sides like this. I would have needed to bolt up hardware on the bottom.

One side riveted on. The other side will keep the cans from wanting to fall out.

One side done! Lots of rivets. You see that it holds the cans up, but without the other side, it wants to tip out.

marking drill lines so the holes line up well
Neatness counts

Marking out the drill holes for the other side. It doesn’t need to be perfect, but lining up all the holes makes it look better.

Finished home made canned good rotation shelf
Load it in back, pull from the front. Sweetness!

Here it is all done. I zip-tied it to my metal shelf that hold the rest of my canned food.

I really like whole thing. It cleared up a lot of space on my shelving. It allows me to automatically rotate my canned food so it doesn’t expire before I get to eating it..